Thursday, June 12, 2014

whale balloon tree swing

This painting is a result of some style experimenting that I've been doing. I originally started with some digital sketching, and I posted one of the sketches on tumblr. The digital sketching was great for quickly working through a lot of ideas and I did a lot of them, but I eventually needed to try it out with actual paint and see how it looked in real life.

'whale balloon tree swing' is one of the first results of this experimentation. I wasn't really concerned too much about the overall composition, as I was squeezing in as many of the different things I was trying out as possible. Things like allowing some of the text to show through, or having the little panels in the background, scratching a drawing into the paint, or adding abstract elements like the rectangles.


It's 16"x20", so it's a relatively small painting. You can see I was trying to squeeze a lot into it.


This is a close up so you can see more of the texture.


cheers, 
Marcel


No comments:

Post a Comment