Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Underpaints red and blue

I've been working on this large 36x60 painting, which is the largest oil piece I've done to date, and when I was working on the underpainting I decided that some of the grays I was using were too dull, even if I was going to eventually paint all over them. Before:

After, with some much stronger red and blue thrown on there:

You can see that I had already added some of the top layers when I went back and made this adjustment.

The other thing going on with this piece is that I'm new to working with such a large size, so I've kept it as simple as possible. That way I could focus on adjusting to the size without getting distracted by conceptual decisions.

Check back tomorrow for a photo of the finished piece.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment