Thursday, June 18, 2015

Ottawa Art Event Tonight, and new paintings

Event: Today at 6:30 - 8:30pm
Location: Wall Space Gallery, 358 Richmond Road, Ottawa
What: "Talent Untapped" - (see link below)

Hi Everyone,

I know this is really short notice, but Wall Space Gallery in Ottawa is putting on an event for my co-exhibitor Paul Wing, who is a subject of a documentary film, and I believe they are previewing the film tonight. Check Wall Space's Facebook Event page for more details. I will be attending the event too and it would be great to see you if you're able to make it.

I'd also like to say thanks to everyone who stopped by this past Saturday, it was nice to see you all again and chat about art and whatever else. I'd also like to thank everyone at Wall Space for doing such a great job putting on the show.

New Paintings: I've just finished two more paintings. (detail pic above) I've posted them on my website and I'm going to bring them to the gallery today. As well, in case you missed it last time, I've also posted an online preview of some of the paintings in the show.

As always, I post a lot of work in progress pictures of the paintings on my Instagram and Twitter (see links below). And if you can't make to the show, I'll also be posting images from the gallery.

Thanks so much for reading, and looking forward to seeing you at the show!

Saturday, June 13, 2015

Ottawa show opens today!

I'll be there at Wall Space Gallery from 1-4pm, hope to see you there!

Here are some of the paintings,





Saturday, May 23, 2015

Friday, April 17, 2015

New #workinprogress for my June show in Ottawa

"Stories and places" will happen at Wallspace Gallery in Ottawa, with the opening coinciding with WestFest, this will be one of the new pieces in the show.
Ok, back to painting,


Thursday, March 5, 2015

Thank you, and new show coming up

Edge of Town (detail)

Hello Everyone,

I'd like to to say a big thank you to everyone who came to see my show at the Elaine Fleck Gallery this past month, it was great to talk all of you who were able to make it to the opening and get such supportive feedback.

For those of you who were not able to make it to see the show, I've put all of theartwork on my website.  

As well, I'd like to announce that I'll be having a show in Ottawa at Wall Space Gallery in June. I don't yet have a name for the show, but it will feature new paintings in my new 'undertexting' style. And robots, I'm thinking there'll be some robots. (You can read my artist statement about undertexting on my blog.) As well, the opening will be happening at the same time as West Fest, so there'll be lots of extra fun! 

As always, I'll be posting work in progress photos on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter (links below), so you can follow me there if you'd like to see how it all comes together. (_If_ indeed it comes together, it could also be a slow motion train wreck, you never know. But it won't right? *nervous laugh* Well, either way, it'll probably still be entertaining. ) 

Thanks so much for reading, and looking forward to seeing you at the next show!

Monday, February 2, 2015

If you can't make it to the show...

... you can use this search that I've set up to see the paintings that will be in it.

I'll be posting photos from the gallery probably from my new instagram account on Saturday.


'Undertexting' - invitation and artist statement

You're all invited to come to my show of paintings at the Elaine Fleck Gallery in Toronto. Come on by the opening on Saturday, February 7th from 2 to 4 pm and say hi if you have a chance.

Also, here's the artist's statement that I wrote up for the show:

Undertexting artist statement

Undertexting describes a new art making process I've developed, as well as the idea that we as human beings use stories to understand everything in our lives; that the cultural context of everything we've read and watched and listened to forms the underlying context of almost every moment that we live.

One could also say that undertexting is about the relativity of meaning, that all meaning is only ever understood within a cultural context, and how that cultural context is formed by the stories we consume. [One could also say that it's about how the background context of how we understand things is often a jumble, but that might just be a reflection of the disarray in my own mind.]

As a art making process, Undertexting starts with a layer of torn photocopies of pages from my favourite books, mostly novels, that I paste on to the panel over top of the original drawings. I then paint on top of that with thin layers of paint (much thinner than I'd been using in the past) allowing you to see some of the underlying text, making that cultural context more explicit and part of the visual story.

Undertexting is a new art making process for me not only because of the underlying layers of text, but also because I've completely changed how the paintings look: I've begun to explicitly incorporate things from my background in comics. These include the use of inset panels, which I'm using to show key scenes in the stories the paintings are describing, and the use of more abstract line and flat colour based backgrounds,  which set the emotional contexts and the settings for the stories they tell.

When people would ask me what my paintings were about before Undertexting, I usually said that they were scenes from imaginary novels, or what it felt and looked like to be in an imaginary novel. These new paintings that make up Undertexting are, with their underlying layers of text and their use of visual storytelling elements from the comics medium, even more about scenes from, or being inside of, imaginary novels. I hope you enjoy them.

Marcel Guldemond